Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hearing Loss, Tinnitus, Possible drug prevention

Here's an interesting article about hearing loss -- what causes it, and a drug that is being studied as a potential hearing protection for those in noisy occupations. The topic of hearing loss and tinnitus have been of interest to me because some of the drugs I use for Lyme disease treatment, such as azithromycin, can actually cause hearing loss. I used to play in rock and jazz bands pretty regularly back in the 80s (well actually in the 60s 70s and 80s --ack! I'm dating myself), I always tried to protect my ears. But even with all of my diligence, I have tinnitus pretty badly. it's quite a bummer. I hear ringing in my ears 24/7. In my case, it is so loud that I can hear it even when I'm driving a car on the freeway. So, I could be going 60 or 70 miles an hour and the noise in my head is louder than the noise outside.

By the way, this article is on Dr. Perlmutter's blog site. Perlmutter is an M.D. who has claimed that Hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBOT) can help with Parkinson's disease. I used his protocol when I did my hyperbaric oxygen treatments. Unfortunately, I did not see a reduction in my parkinsonism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be constructive in your comments.