Friday, December 7, 2018

MMS and Chlorine Dioxide warnings

Dear Lyme folks,

From this page on Wikipedia, I saw the following warnings about "MMS" supplement that many people with chronic illness use or have tried. I also recently had my house fumigated with chlorine dioxide gas to kill mold, spores and mycotoxins. It's the same thing as MMS, but applied to an entire house at much higher concentration, not just a few drops taken internally. In any case, chlorine dioxide is a powerful oxidant (which is why it can kill microbes, mold, etc.).  

On July 30, 2010, and again on October 1, 2010, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned against the use of the product "Miracle Mineral Supplement", or "MMS", which when made up according to instructions produces chlorine dioxide. MMS has been marketed as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including HIV, cancer, autism, and acne. The FDA warnings informed consumers that MMS can cause serious harm to health and stated that it has received numerous reports of nausea, diarrhea, severe vomiting, and life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration.[37][38]

Chlorine dioxide is toxic, hence limits on exposure to it are needed to ensure its safe use. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has set a maximum level of 0.8 mg/L for chlorine dioxide in drinking water.[35] The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), an agency of the United States Department of Labor, has set an 8-hour permissible exposure limit of 0.1 ppm in air (0.3 mg/m3) for people working with chlorine dioxide.[36]

Here's another interesting link about ClO2 (Chlorine Dioxide) gas. This is a study about low-level ClO2 in the air, given to rats over a long period of time. The authors were attempting to determine whether it was safe for use in settings where killing bacteria, viruses, molds, etc. would be desirable, such as in a hospital.