Thursday, February 22, 2007

Costco memory-foam mattress


Well I finally broke down and got a new mattress for my Cal King-sized bed, after over ten years on a Beautyrest pillow-top. That was a great mattress, but started getting a divit in it where I had slept all that time. I tried a bunch of mattresses during my shopping, including the Tempur-Pedic (in the stores, not the home trial), and then discovered that Costco has a knockoff by Sleep Innovations.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11025931

It's called Novaform and it is extremely comfortable, and less than 1/3 the price of the Tempur-Pedic, (about $675 vs. $3000). However, the bad news is that it smells. Even after 3 or 4 months of airing out, it still smells. I worry about whether it's off-gassing and not good for my health, as well as just being annoyed by the smell and waking up with a stuffy nose as though I am having an allergic reaction. I wrote to the Sleep Innovations company and they suggested washing the covers. There are two covers on the bed, one with zipper which covers the entire mattress, and one more like a thick, fluffy, fitted sheet. I did wash them both (a major production), and can still report that the mattress smells. The odor is difficult to describe, perhaps a cross between vanilla and petroleum by-products. I don't want to take it back, because it's so comfortable and it's so heavy and big. It was easier to transport into the house because it was compressed and had all the air sucked out of it. Once you cut open the plastic bag, the foam reinflates and grows to approximately double the size. I will report back as the story develops.

5/30/2007
The story is still that the mattress smells, and a friend who slept on it reported that she, too, was congested in the morning. I am going to be looking into a latex mattress to replace this wonderful-feeling but poorly-smelling mattress. I did write to the manufacturer to report in about it again. Below is the exchange (read bottom to top):

Hello Bob,
There are no flame retardents added to the foam that would cause the smell. It is simply a 'new foam' odor to which you may be very sensitive. The only additive we use in the foam is an antimicrobial which protects the foam from dust mites, mold, and mildew. This would not cause the smell either. For more information about the antimicrobial (ultra-fresh) please visit the following link:
http://www.ultra-fresh.com/tra/
In the meantime, I will inquire as to the possibility of replacing your mattress with my supervisor. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sarah Strahle
Sleep Innovations
187 Route 36 Suite 101
West Long Branch NJ 07764
ph-732-263-0800
fax-732-263-0900


-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Cowart [mailto:bob@cowart.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:22 AM
To: Sarah Strahle
Subject: RE: Sleep Innovations Online Contact Form

Dear Sarah,

As you suggested, I did wash the covers (both of them) and line dried.
Then replaced. However, the mattress still smells like chemicals. I'm very disappointed, because I love the way it feels. My sinuses are just very sensitive to it, and I already have sleep apnea and this makes it worse because I get congested in reaction to the smell (or the chemicals causing the smell). Is there flame retardant in the foam? Perhaps that is the source of the smell? Many foams do have that added to the formula. Shall we do a replacement, as you suggest below? It has now been four months since the previous email, which should have been enough time for the product to air out.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Bob


Good Afternoon,
Some people have a higher sensitivity to the odor than others.
For the most part, the odor will dissipate within 7-10 days. Beyond that, we consider it a defect and I replace products for such reasons.Not all pillows from the same lot will have the same intensity of the new foam odor. An exchange could provide you with a less odorous pillow. The mattress cover can be washed. The safest way is to have it dry cleaned. If this is not possible, you may do so on the gentle cycle using cold water and then either hang it to dry, or use a no heat setting. This setting may take a long time for the cover to dry but is best because it ensures that the cover will not shrink. Let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you.


Best Regards,
Sarah Strahle

4 comments:

  1. Ooo I love my memory foam mattress!! I bought it about 3 months and it's ace! I'm getting a much better nights sleep, sometimes upwards of 8 hours, whereas I'd previously only been getting about 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no flame retardents added to the foam that would cause the smell. It is simply a 'new foam' odor to which you may be very sensitive. The only additive we use in the foam is an antimicrobial which protects the foam from dust mites, mold, and mildew. This would not cause the smell either amerisleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it as well... I have had one for over a year now.

    ReplyDelete

Please be constructive in your comments.